Vermont is a small state and yet, we have the most amazing wedding vendors. From bakers, to florist, to wedding videographers, to Vermont wedding planners I’ve been incredibly lucky to work alongside so many talented and amazing people. Marissa from Once Upon A Time Events is one of those incredibly gifted people and I’ve been wanting to feature her on the blog for a long time so here she is in her own words:
How did you get started as a wedding planner?
– At 20 I decided I wanted to be a wedding planner. I called every event planner on Cape Cod until someone gave me a summer internship. After the first wedding I fell in love and the rest as they say is history.
What’s the coolest thing you’ve ever experienced at a wedding?
– I love it when the bride and groom add intimate touches to the festivities. When they think outside the cookie cutter of tradition and bring personal history into a part of their future. I’m also a huge sucker for a fun choreographed first dance or ice cream truck for the after party!
If you were to plan your ideal wedding, what would it look like?
– Very elegant and simple! All the people we love with excellent food, dancing and beautiful photographs of the festivities.
What is your favorite thing about what you do?
– Building the relationship and trust with the clients. My goal is for the couple and families to not worry at all the week of the wedding because they know and trust I have their backs every step of the way!
What sets you apart from other Vermont wedding planners?
– Every event I take I work on personally to ensure that it gets the attention and care it needs, from selecting the best vendors for the event, to making sure my couples and families are taken care of throughout the wedding day. However, I don’t know if that sets me apart, In this industry we all work very hard on behalf of our clients to make their day everything they dreamed. I know many wonderful vendors I would be lucky to work alongside!
What’s the one thing you wish everybody knew about being a wedding planner?
– How much multitasking we do! We are organizers, therapists and problem solvers. We assist the vendors, guests and track the entire bridal party while making sure everything stays on schedule.
How would you describe your approach to weddings?
– The backseat. I feel it’s very important that all final decisions are made by my clients.
My job is to listen and advise based on their needs. I take my client’s vision and connect them to the best vendors in the industry that will add what they are looking for on their special day. Once we get to the month of, that’s when I step in and take everything off the couples plate.
What inspires you when planning a wedding for your couples?
– The couples themselves! Their day is theirs, I am simply their eyes and ears throughout the planning process and day of.
How far in advance to you recommend couples hire a planner?
– As soon as they decide they want a planner. Hopefully 16 – 18 months prior to their wedding date. As planners we always do the best we can for our clients, but are aren’t miracle workers!
What do you love about weddings?
– The fairytale aspect of it. No matter how many weddings I am a part of and regardless of what is going on around me, I still smile when they say “I do”. It’s the whole reason for the day and it’s important that that moment is everything the couple have dreamed it will be! But my favorite wedding moment is after the cake cutting, that’s when the couple and family are able to relax and enjoy themselves.
What is the best piece of advice you can give to couples planning their wedding?
– Listen to your partner. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Make a list of top 3 things that are important to you (if you have a planner the list can be bigger, but if you are planning it yourself stick to 3). Dance at your wedding and enjoy your family.
What do you do when you are not working?
– Travel! I love seeing new things and meeting new people. There is nothing more eye opening or educational than experiencing another culture!
Marissa Currier | Once Upon A Time Events
Phone | 802.535.5204 Website | OnceUponATimeEventsVT.com